Saturday, January 06, 2007

Charlton free to concentrate on league

A victory for Forest against Charlton through two first half goals in the FA Cup 3rd round tie will allow the Addicks to concentrate on the league with a vital home tie against Boro next week.

The game, played in front of a crowd of 19,017, started at a fast pace on the slippery surface with Forest looking threatening writes Erith Addick Paul May . What could have been a promising Charlton move ended when Rommedahl was easily dispossessed. However, neither side had a real chance in the first ten minutes. Rommedahl thought he had won a corner, but referee Foy ruled otherwise. El K cut out a Forest attack. Rommedahl put in an attempt that was way wide.

Charlton made a break, but Forest countered with a Tyson run until he was stopped by a last ditch tackle by Fortune. Kishishev playing at right back needed to get the measure of Tyson. Forest had a great chance at 21 minutes with a cross by Tyson but it was headed wide by Perch.

Marcus Bent put in a powerful shot from some 25 yards out that had to be palmed over the bar by Smith to give Charlton a corner, but Forest were able to clear. The gloved Diawara was brought on for Faye with Kishishev who had been uncomfortable at right back moving into centre midfield and El K moving to right back which possibly undermined the centre.

With Ambrose unable to keep up by tracking back and Traore out of position, the defence was wide open, Perch forged forward and Agogo slotted the ball home to make it 1-0 on 28 minutes. Charlton won a second corner taken by Rommedahl but it was cleared by Forest. When Forest threatened again, Tyson's shot was diverted on to the crossbar by Fortune.

From a free kick Grant Holt was free to head it in by the near post to make it 2-0 on 31 minutes. The tempo of the game fell off with Charlton unable to create anything with service to the strikers poor. With four minutes to go, Charlton won their second corner of the half. It was headed behind for a second which not surprisingly led to nothing.

Charlton won a free kick less than 25 yards out in stoppage time, but El Karkouri unwisely chose to shoot.

Half time: Forest 2, Addicks 0

An early attack by Marcus Bent came to nothing. Fortune dealt with a Forest attack.
What looked like a Forest corner was ruled to be a goal kick by Foy. Agogo was ruled offside.

Forest broke from a Charlton attack and won a free kick by the corner flag with Diawara shown a yellow card. Holland headed the ball away. Charlton tried to apply some pressure but without much success and Forest looked dangerous in counter attack, particularly when Diawara slipped up, but fortunately the offside flag was raised.

The largely ineffective Rommedahl was pulled off in favour of Thomas with Ambrose moving out to the right while Agogo was replaced by former Spanner Scott Dobie. El Karkouri was judged to have made a foul throw.

Hasselbaink was hauled back on the edge of the box by Gary Holt who got a yellow card. Ambrose's delivery lacked pace and it was gathered by Smith in the Forest goal. Forest always showed the potential to break and won a corner after Fortune headed the ball behind. However, Myhre caught the ball without difficulty.

A good chance fell to Marcus Bent inside the six yard box, there was a scramble, but Smith managed to save from Bent's prodded effort. Forest won a corner which was eventually cleared by Ambrose. Thonas had a second chance after the ball came out from a defender and the ball soared over a crossbar.

Kishishev who had failed to impress was taken off in favour of Sam. Dobie advanced but was tackled well by Diawara. Time simply ran out for the Addicks, but they didn't look like scoring if they had been given another thirty minutes.

Charlton won a free kick through Sam on the edge of the penalty area. Fortune failed to connect with the ball as the game went into three minutes added on. There was a possible penalty shout against Myhre, but referee Foy judged that contact had been made with the ball.

No doubt the papers will talk about a shock and an upset, but it was no shock to me given Charlton's away record.


Blogger New York Addick said...

The most disgraceful Charlton performance in living memory.

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home