Saturday, April 08, 2006

Kings of the goalless draw

That was Steve from Sidcup's verdict after the Addicks recorded a 0-0 draw against Everton in the mid-table Premiership clash at The Valley. Partly because of injuries and partly to rest players for next week's club replay at Boro, Charlton fielded a less than full strength side. A defence that has only conceded two goals at The Valley this year was once again solid with Sorondo fitting in well, but with Darren Bent absent, Charlton could not find the back of the net. Everton adopted a very physical approach, but fussy referee P Walton contented himself with two yellow cards.

The first half can be disposed of pretty quickly, although one feature was constant whingeing at decisions by charm merchant Beattie. A moment of real humour came when Holland almost lobbed the hapless Wright when he was out of his goal, the hapless keeper running back frantically to divert the ball for a corner,

Excellent work by Thomas allowed him to advance down the wing and put in a cross which Wright was quite fortunate to save. As half time approached, Beattie put in a strong shot from distance which Myhre was able to tip over and avert what would otherwise have been a certain goal.

Half time: Addicks 0, Toffeemen 0

Bothroyd had a try from distance. Thomas won Charlton a corner and, as confusion reigned in front of the Everton goal, the well poistioned Sorondo almost managed to pounce on the ball.

A cynical and unnecessary foul on Thomas by Hibbert was rewarded with a yellow card. Almost immediately Thomas was fouled again as he advanced down the wing, but this time it led to nothing more than a Charlton free kick.

Euell advanced well and won Charlton a corner, but it was unproductive. The three minutes of time added on saw almost as much meaningful action as the whole second half. Marcus Bent tried a snap shot that was saved. Another cynical foul led to a yellow card for McFadden. Ambrose had an attempt that was just wide.

Given the lack of goalmouth incident, both halves passed remarkably quickly. I did wonder if such a long journey was worthwhile for a rather disappointing match and perhaps I should have stayed at home to watch Leamington's derby with Racing Club Warwick, but at least Brakes beat the Gee Gees 2-1.

Match analysis

Hooch the Pooch awarded the Silver Bone to Jerome Thomas for his inspired performance on the wing. Myhre who received a warm welcome from the Everton supporters was once again on top form, stopping a fierce shot from Beattie from finding the back of the net. Perry was not noticeable because he was so efficient, although there was a great moment when he swerved round an Everton player, taking the ball away from him. Sorondo had an excellent game, defending vigorously and forging forward well. Standing in as captain Hreidarsson switched to left back and was an important presence in a number of attacks. Spector had probably what was his best game for Charlton standing in for the injured Young at right back. Kishishev put in some excellent long passes, but tends to be a bit of a headless chicken when he seeks to retrive an error. Holland was competent and effective and came close to scoring with an audacious lob. Euell passed neatly enough, but lacks the pace he had in the past and generally fails to convince. Marcus Bent still has to prove himself to the Valley faithful. Bothroyd also seems to be lacking in pace and skill. Bartlett did very little after he came on. Rommedahl made some threatening and quite effective runs. Ambrose has been mysteriously absent from the team for some time, but looked lively when he came on.

Juneau the Soccer Cat has awarded the Hiss of the Match to fussy referee P Walton who confirms the adage that nothing good ever came out of Northamptonshire (which also serves as the site for Premiership referee get togethers).

Crowd rating Disappointingly subduded, but hopefully saving it up for Boro. 3/10.


Post a Comment

<< Home