Google

Friday, March 31, 2006

Ten years ago: Leaburn's birthday celebration

Charlton celebrated Carl Leabourn's 27th birthday with a 1-0 win at Norwich on March 30th, but the winning goal was scored by Bradley Allen.

My notes recall, 'Norwich did not give us much trouble in the first half but we missed a couple of chances. Norwich put heavy pressure on us at the start of the second half, but we withstood it. After a Matt Jackson (loan player) shot had been punched out by the goalkeeper, Bradley Allen scored. Norwich came back with some pressure, but we held them off. Unfortunately, the other top teams also won.'

The pen portrait of birthday boy Leaburn in the programme said, 'the gian striker is a handful for any defence. Obviously strong in the air, he is unexpectedly nimble on the deck ... a great favourite with the fans.'

2 Comments:

Blogger Hilltothevalley said...

Matt jackson is now with Wigan, who else from that match is still playing?

2:28 PM  
Blogger ChicagoAddick said...

Because I am sad Kapp, I have dug out the programme. It was in a box under my desk - you never know when you might need this stuff!

Also in our team that day was Newts and Bowyer.

Looking at their side I think only Jamie Cureton and Spencer Prior are still playing. Cureton's at Swindon I believe and Prior is at Southend.

I was at that game and I know memories play tricks but I remember there being a lot of Charlton there and a lot of backing.

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home