Saturday, January 20, 2007

There's only one Amady Faye

This must be one of the most unlikely headlines of the season, but it was Faye who scored his first goal in European football to give Charlton a 1-0 victory at Portsmouth today and a lifeline in their battle to stay in the Premiership.

Erith Addick Paul May has now filed the following report: This was not a classic contest, but Charlton did just enough to win the points, with an important late save by Scott Carson. Pards brought in the returning Sankofa to replace Diawara while Hughes and Thomas played in midfield.

Portsmouth did not seem to be trying that hard in the opening phase of the game, no doubt thinking that the three points were already theirs. Faye had to make an important clearance after a low cross from Matthew Taylor looked as if it might create a scoring opportunity for Cole. At the other end Rommedahl put in a cross from the right which found Hughes but his header was saved by James in the Pompey goal.

On the half hour a cross from the left by Thomas was picked up by Marcus Bent at the far post but Hughes just failed to connect with his header across the goal with the empty goal inviting a tap in. Lauren need a change of kit and a clean up of his bloody face after Thatcher reinforced his popularity with the home crowd by colliding with him. The half ended with the Herninator called on for important defensive work to cut out another dangerous cross put in by Taylor.

Half time: Pompey 0, Addicks 0

A cross from Rommedahl allowed Thomas to put in a curling ball on goal that was saved by James. Kanu and substitute Douala both put in efforts but they were way off target.

Charlton's best chance of the half came when Rommedahl burst forward, beating the Pompey offside trap. He ran clear on goal, but hesitated for too long about his shot, allowing Campbell to put in a tackle at the expense of a corner.

The Addicks continued to battle. Pompey failed to clear their lines and for once Campbell was unable to clear things up. Faye played a one-two with Hughes after picking up the loose ball. Campbell and Glen Johnson both made sliding tackles, but only helped to deflect Faye's poked shot past James.

Carson had had little to do throughout the game but when a free kick from Taylor was used by Cole to put in a downward header he flung himself to the left to deny the equaliser.

It was 15 months since Charlton last won away at Pompey and with the results elsewhere going our way, there is a glimmer of hope.


Blogger jens lehmann said...

One of the best wins we've got in months i would say......i dont mean to sound to optimistic but i swear i still believe Charlton can survive the drop.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home