Google

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Addicks bid for US World Cup player rejected

American sources report that Major League Soccer (which holds the contracts of players) has turned down a $1.5 million bid from the Addicks for 23-year old New England Revolution World Cup scorer Cluint Dempsey. Dempsey is said to be deeply disappointed. Given that he currently makes $80,000 a year from his deal with MLS, which is what he might get in League 2 over here, no wonder he is upset. He is currently suspended after breaking an opposing player's jaw with his elbow.

US sources claim that no American had a better World Cup than Dempsey, who brought much-needed pace and confidence to the right side of the U.S. midfield starting with the team's 1-1 tie against world champion Italy.

MLS commissioner Don Garber stated, 'Clint Dempsey is a valuable player, and we'd like to renegotiate his agreement and keep him in the league. Unless these clubs offer his real value [whatever that might be] and don't discount the value he has to MLS, we have no interest.'

Dempsey stated, 'I just don't want to be in this league anymore. It's not about the money. It's about me getting better and pushing myself to a higher level. I'll be able to live with whatever the consequences may be, but I can't live with never trying to accomplish my dreams, and I can't live with somebody holding me back from that.' Dempsey is now pinning his hopes on the next transfer window.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home