Google

Friday, June 01, 2007

Cork player would cost millions (of euros)

Charlton are ready to make a €440,000 offer for Cork City midfielder Joe Gamble. But Cork supremo Brian Lennox insists, 'The whole league is gone beyond those days when €500,000 was seen as a top offer. It is time for us to talk millions. That's my policy.'

Gamble has said that he will join the Addicks if the opportunity arises. The 25-year-old midfielder made his debut against Ecuador on Ireland's short tour of the United States and admitted he would love to link up with former manager Alan Pardew.

'It's all speculation at the moment and the club have yet to confirm that a bid has come in for me. I am curious though about the interest because I worked with Alan when at Reading and his assistant now at The Valley, Phil Parkinson was a room mate of mine when we were at Reading,' he told Cork's Evening Echo.

'I must admit that I was tipped off about Charlton's interest by a source while in America. I'd be a fool not to be interested and not to look into it. I honestly believe that if I am to further my international career then I need to be in the Championship or the Premiership and people have said as much to me."

He concluded: 'Charlton are a big London club and I think they have the potential to come straight back up - they have a good manager there in Alan Pardew.'

Gamble is contracted to City until the end of the 2008 season. Lennox commented, 'No club likes to lose good players and we are no different. Until we hear directly about the interest then it is merely speculation.'

Elsewhere, Brakes supermeo Jason Cadden has swooped across the county border for three players from Northamptonshire club Woodford United as Leamington prepare for the Southern League. The club from the former Great Central Railway works town finished 8th in the Southern League Midland Division last year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home