Google

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Great matches against Blackpool

I would hardly have been writing a headline 'Great matches against Yeovil' if Blackpool had not won today's League 1 play off final. Younger readers may not recall that the seaside team were once a force at the top level of English football, finishing 2nd in the first division in 1955/56.

Stanley Matthews was always a great draw at The Valley and hence there was an attendance of 56,664 on 10th October 1953 to see the great man play, compared with 31,258 who saw the 6-0 demolition of Liverpool two weeks earlier (curiously, I have a clearer memory of that match). With two of Blackpool's key players away on international duty, Charlton came out 4-2 winners.

Next year's fixture was on a Thursday afternoon and that and the absence of Matthews brought the attendance down to 16,354. Charlton were probably satisfied with a 3-3 draw.

On February 13th 1956, Charlton lost 2-1 at home, Blackpool scoring the winning goal with a 80th minute penalty after a Leary penalty had been saved.

More recently, we have played both Blackpool and Yeovil at home in the FA Cup. It took some time to sweep the sand off the floor of the Rose of Denmark after Blackpool's visit.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I remember seeing Charlton v Blackpool in the FA cup in the same era. The match at the Valley was a 2-2 draw Blackpool won the replay and went on to win the FA cup. I had persuaded my father to take me as at the time I was a Blackpool supporter (Stanley Matthews and all that) however came away from the match a Charlton fan and for my pains have remained such ever since, Peter

9:24 PM  
Blogger ChicagoAddick said...

I think staying a Blackpool fan would have been more painful Peter!

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home