Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Four points from two away games

It was the same 4-5-1 lineup for Charlton as had won victory at Portsmouth in a rain lashed Reebok Stadium reports Erith Addick Paul May although Super Kevin Lisbie returned from injury on the bench while Darren Randolph was reserve keeper. Bolton were without Kevin Davies who was sent off when Charlton beat Bolton at The Valley.

Fireworks greeted the two teams as they arrived on the pitch, but the game started quietly. Thomas burst through but Hunt put the ball back to his keeper. But then Bolton got the early goal after five minutes. A long throw came in, Hreidarsson cleared, but Campo picked it up again, a cross came in from Speed and the totally unmarked Pedersen put a header into the back of the net. Woeful defending had let Charlton down again.

There was further danger when Anelka was fortunately just half a yard offside. Bolton were dictating a slow tempo pattern of play. An El Karkouri free kick was quickly and poorly taken and went straight to Jaaskelianen. But almost immediately he redeemed himself Charlton won another free kick halfway in the Bolton half and El Karkouri scored on 12 minutes from 35 yards with a magnificent low strike into the bottom left-hand corner of the left, although the keeper read the situation badly with the ball flying off his shoulder.

Bolton got a free kick at the other end, it was headed away and a shot was blocked by Charlton defenders. After Hreidarsson was fouled, the Addicks got a free kick. Pedersen were down in the area flapping his arms in the air but referee Probert ruled that there was no penalty.

A Hunt cross nearly found Stelios, but Sankofa nodded it clear at the expense of a corner. Bolton won a throw, the long throw came in, Faye attempted to clear and got into trouble, but Campo's shot was straight at Carson. Marcus Bent connected with a clearance from Carson, but his cross was headed away. Charlton then showed some decent approach play, working the ball well and Jaaskelianen had to be alert as Hughes sneaked in round the back.

Faye created danger by missing the ball in midfield. Stelios put in a cross, being allowed too much freedom of action by Thatcher, Anelka found space in the area, but his header was well wide. Jaaskelianen was somewhat careless with the ball with Rommedahl looming.

Carson was spoken to by Probert for taking too long over a goal kick. Sankofa conceded a free kick for obstruction, but Charlton were able to clear. Anelka came off, presumably injured, and was replaced by the Iranian international Andranik who is normally a midfielder. Carson had to collect a belted ball from Hunt under his own crossbar.

Hughes put a good ball over the top, Rommedahl just failed to make contact and Jaaskelianen managed to clear from outside the area. A foul on Sankofa led to a free kick. An unmarked Jerome Thomas should have got contact on the ball and scored from six yards out, a great chance to go ahead was missed.

Bolton won a free kick in the dying minutes of the half. Thatcher headed away, it was put back in and allowed to bounce in the area with Bolton three on two. A cross went in and again Bolton players were left unmarked with runners from midfield like Nolan not being tracked.

Thatcher was furious at being judged to have fouled Campo. The Addicks had a free kick which was lifted forward by El Karkouri, but the half time whistle blew.

Half time: Whites 1, Addicks 1

The ball was played into the area from a free kick, but Carson was just able to dive to the left and save. Carson and Nolan collided as the keeper came to deal with a Jaaskilanen free kick taken from well up the field. A direct ball over the top from Hunt caused some trouble and although Carson saved, he conceded a corner. Speed's corner was headed away well by Hughes, but Bolton were able to stop the threat of a Charlton break. Bolton counter attacked, but Pedersen's shot was straight at Charlton.

Rommedahl fed Thomas who sped down the wing and put in a good cross towards Marcus Bent. Rommedahl lacked composure and put the ball behind for a goal kick in a futile attempt to score. Bolton made an attacking substitution with Stelios was taken off in an favour of Vaz Té.

A free kick was awarded against Faye in a dangerous position. Hreidarsson had to defend by putting it over the bar at the expense of a Bolton corner. Campo put the ball over the bar. A cross from Nolan was cleared by El Karkouri at the expense of a corner, but it ended in a Charlton throw in.

Pedersen caused danger, Carson got a foot to it, Vaz Té miscued a shot and then Nolan lifted over the bar from the penalty spot. Meite was taken off, apparently injured and Ben Haim came on. Bolton was about to shoot from ten yards out, but Faye stuck out a leg in a vital challenge and blocked it clear. Bolton were piling on the pressure and won another corner off Sankofa. Bolton's Faye missed his header and Charlton cleared.

Rommedahl made a run, he passed to Hughes, but he didn't get hold of it and the ball went high over the bar. Rommedahl was taken off and Super Kevin Lisbie came on to play wide right with fifteen minutes left. A long throw by Speed was headed away by Holland. Bolton won another corner, but Charlton cleared to the halfway line.

Bolton gave the ball away, it was a great chance, Thomas got past Ben Haim but Jaaskelainen was able to make the save low down to his left. Sankofa got back well to defend, but at the expense of a corner. Carson punched it clear. Holland was caught by Speed and Charlton got a free kick.

Lisbie conceded a corner that was headed away by Marcus Bent and Hunt put it well wide from 40 yards. Diawara came on to replace Hughes to boos from the home fans who could see that Pardew was trying to hang on what he had. Thomas was brought down in the area, but it was not a penalty.

Lisbie gave the ball away and El Karkouri was booked for a challenge on Vaz Té. Marcus Bent was taken off and was replaced by Hasselbaink. Campo's free kick was headed away powerfully by Hasselbaink. El Karkouri conceded another corner and it was cleared by El Karkouri as the closing minutes went slowly.

A Speed throw in was eventually cleared by Diawara. Bolton were throwing everything forward, but the Charlton defence stood firm. Thatcher cleared another Bolton throw in. The fourth official showed four minutes of time added on. Allerdyce was going beserk on the edge of his technical area as the expected three points seemed to be disappearing.

Campo was about to score for Bolton but Thatcher got it over the crossbar. As danger threatened again, Diawara got enough on it to take it outside the area. Charlton had worked hard for the point. Four points from two difficult away games is a good return. Bring on Chelski!


Post a Comment

<< Home