Tuesday, December 05, 2006

El Karkouri scores last minute winner for Addicks

Fans had something to be pleased about at the start of the game against Blackburn at The Valley, reports Erith Addick Paul May. Lloyd Sam received his first Premiership start, replacing Rommedahl. Bryan Hughes and battling Radostin Kishishev were also brought in with Ambrose and Holland, both disappointing at Sheffield, withdrawn.

Carson dealt with a ball rather casually, but fortunately it fell to Luke Young rather than the predatory Pedersen. Sam was lively in the early play on this historic day with Charlton adopting a fluid formation. The Addicks were not clearing crosses into the box well to Carson's annoyance. Keen to make an impression, Sam conceded his second free kick.

Blackburn advanced well and Hreidarsson had to make an important block. The Valley went quiet with no clear pattern to the play as the quarter hour mark approached. Bent turned provider for Hughes but his effort was saved by Friedel in the Blackburn goal. Bent advanced and Friedel had to come to the edge of his area to clear. A header from Pedersen went just wide, although Carson had the near post covered.

After good possession play Kishishev put in a decent effort that curled just wide of Friedel's far post. Bent forged forward, but Friedel was able to deal with the ball.

Blackburn won the first corner of the game off Traore on 23 minutes but the ball from Pedersen went straight out of play. A snap shot from Hughes on the edge of the box was gathered on the ground by Friedel. There were justified shouts for a penalty as Sam was challenged in the area, but referee Chris Foy refused to give anything.

Traore had to be taken off and was replaced by Diawara. Diawara took over at centre half with Hreidarisson taking on the left back role. Darren Bent appeared to have taken a blow as he held his stomach. Lloyd Sam got into a promising position after Bent had fed the ball to him, but under pressure from Blackburn defenders he put it over on the half hour. Tbe offside flag went up rather late against Sam.

Pedersen made a meal of a challenge by Hughes and the midfielder was booked. Neill was booked by the referee to even things up. The game started to get more physical.
McCarthy had a free header but did not put the ball away after an initial save by Carson and in any case the linesman rightly judged him to be offside. As the match went into stoppage time, Charlton had a free kick in a promising position, but Reid's effort went all the way through to Friedel. Carson made a good stop as Blackburn threatened in the last minute of the half.

It was not an incident packed half, apart from the denied penalty, but Charlton had looked brighter and showed more fight than they did at Sheffield.

Half time: Addicks 0, Rovers 0

Friedel made a save from Hughes after good work involving Reid and Sam. McCarthy put a shot into the side netting. McCarthy threatened, but El Karkouri made a great challenge.

Charlton won their first corner of the game on 57 minutes, but it was taken short and wasted. Emerton went down with a hamstring injury and had to be taken off and was replaced by Peter.

Kishishev conceded a corner to Blackburn. It was taken short and Darren Bent fired it behind at the near post for a second corner. Faye cleared, but the ball came back in again, but eventually it was cleared.

Charlton won a corner through good play by Sam. Hreidarsson had a free header and should have scored but headed over from six yards out. Lloyd Sam was taken off on 70 minutes to a standing ovation and replaced by Marcus Bent.

Charlton won another corner, but it was headed away by Henchoz. Friedel made a good save with his feet from Darren Bent. Carson had to palm a ball away.

Charlton won another corner after a free kick for a foul by Savage on Reid. Hreidarsson's effort was blocked on the line. Luke Young made a good run down the right but was pulled back by Gray but no card was shown.

Andy Reid won Charlton's fifth corner of the game, but it was unproductive. Would it have been a good time to risk Rommedahl? However, it was Matt Holland who came on in place of Kishishev.

A poor back pass placed Friedel in danger, but he dealt with the situation well. Just two minutes were added on. Reid put in a decent cross and the Addickted thought there should have been a corner. Henchoz got a yellow card for blocking Marcus Bent. From the free kick El Karkouri scored to give Charlton the three points and took them off the bottom.


Post a Comment

<< Home