Google

Monday, November 20, 2006

Are we Quilmes in disguise?

Buenoes Aeries, Argentina: When my cell phone rang when I was having breakfast this morning, I thought that I was about to be pursued by the local media on the question of the Malvinas/Falklands. But instead the dulcet tones of Les Reed came on to my phone urging me to get down to The Valley for the Carling Cup game against Wycombe. This sales pitch will have cost me money for an incoming call, but I think it´s a good marketing idea in principle. I was going to come anyway.

There are three matches to go in the Apertura here in Argentina and after sixteen games played Quilmes are stuck at the bottom with six points. Could that be our fate after sixteen games? Quilmes were beaten at home 2-1 yesterday by local rivals Banfield (read Palace). The local newspaper says, ´It was an intense match, but overall Banfield were the more dangerous.´

One idea we might try if things get really bad: the Racing Club versus San Lorenzo game was called off after fans from both sides blockaded the respective team buses. Racing fans went to the team´s hotel chanting ´They´re not playing without the fans.´ This was a reference to an order by the provincial government for the match to be played behind closed doors at La Plata as a response to the violence and intimidation that is plaguing football here.

No one I have talked to about football has ever heard of Charlton, although that might be different if we had any Argentinian players. Having two Uruguyans gives us something of a joke status. Global brand anyone?

Now I am heading home. I have enjoyed my brief stop here, even if Argentinians are like Italians on speed. It´s going to be a relief having not to struggle in Spanish any more.

3 Comments:

Blogger ChicagoAddick said...

Would love to hear about your Buenos Aries experience - I'm hoping to go next year but will probably miss the season. I often watch the games on TV here and the passion is incredible but then again so is the crowd trouble.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Daniel Clark said...

Once saw Quilmes play in Brazil against Sao Paulo. It was a surreal experience with one Quilmes player being arrested after the match, on the pitch, for alleged racism.

12:44 AM  
Blogger Wyn Grant said...

Can strongly recommend BA, great clothes to purchase for men and women. I will be putting something on my world soccer page about Argentinian football.

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home