Google

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Curbs: I was close to tears

In a long interview in today's Daily Express Alan Curbishley states: 'I'll miss Charlton. They have been my life for so long and I've loved every minute. On Saturday when I was applauded on the pitch, it was a total surprise. I am usually able to hold my emotions but I was close to tears.'

'I want to thank the fans but I was so choked up on Saturday I don't think I paid enough tribute. Some of them pulled up weeds out of the pitch in preparation for our move back to the Valley in 1992.

Curbs confirms that Richard Murray thought that one year left on his contract was not sufficient and extending was not the right thing to do for him. He could not even guarantee he would stay another year. The decision was made for the best of the club which 'needs fresh legs and fresh ideas.' But 'That's going to be hard.'

He recalled, 'Two years ago I thought I had built my best team when we finished seventh. Then we lost Scott Parker to Chelsea.'

'This year we started so well, at one stage we were second, and things were going great. But Danny Murphy defected to Spurs and then Alexi Smertin went back to Russia. I was upset. But what could we at Charlton do about it? Very little.'

'There's talk that other clubs will be in for both Luke Young and Darren Bent. I always say that if that happens we'll just get on with it because a club like Charlton is always at the mercy of those with millions to splash out. But that does not lessen the disappointment.'

Curbs talks about the impact of the job on family life. 'Because of the person I am I have given the job everything I have and in the process missed my children, Clare and Michael, growng up. They are 21 and 18 now, and I'll never get that time back again.'

Curbs says he is delighted to be having a rest. He looks forward to having more time to watch rugby, noting that he and his wife Carol are big Wasps fans. They might also see The Who in concert.

Looking to the future, he poses the question. 'How long will I take off? I don't know. I can't see myself being at another club come August. But who knows ...'

The Express reckons that Charlton are in a race with Newcastle for Fulham's Chris Coleman, naming Glenn Hoddle (no!) and Steve Coppell as other candidates.

Sources close to the club still reckon that Phil Parkinson is still in the running, but we could surely do better than a League 1 manager, however good his record at that level. Would he be able to attract and retain players of the quality we want?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home