Google

Saturday, September 18, 2004

Ten Years Ago: do you remember this match?

Ten years ago this weekend Charlton beat Swindon 1-0 at The Valley in a front of a crowd of 9,420 (just short of Target 10,000). Here are my recollections of that day: 'Collected Claudio from Kenilworth at 11, quite busy on M1/M25, stopped just short of Dartford Bridge, took a long time to get back in. Traffic very heavy through Welling. Parked in Canberra Road. We had excellent seats in the East Stand. Swindon started well and hit the crossbar, but then Whyte scored for Charlton in the twelth minute. Charlton showed some excellent ball play and had some near misses in the first half which they dominated. Swindon came back strongly in the second half. One goal was disallowed and they they thought they had a claim for a penalty [the referee was one Steve Dunn]. I thought one of them might hit the referee. Leaburn came on in the 69th minute after a period of injury [He replaced Mark Robson whose on the ball skills had impressed my Italian friend]. The last few minutes were very exciting with both teams attacking. Sturgess seemed to be unpopular with the crowd.'

This match was my return to The Valley. I had intended to be back before then, but my mother (a keen Charlton fan known for her shouts of 'dirty ref') had been ill in Cornwall for the last few years and had died in August.

I have kept my 'Valley Review' from that day. The front page promotes Clubcall with Mark Robson declaring 'I am not renowned for scoring with my right peg'. Editor 'Scoop' Burrowes has a full page article 'Let's have fair play' which notes the appointment of a 'lady linesman', Mrs Wendy Toms. The 'management' page is by Steve Gritt who is portrayed as the proud owner of a M Reg Ford Mondeo. There is a 'head to head' feature with Mickey Bennett, eager to regain his first team spot. Marketing man Steve Dixon promises 'it won't be long before we've got some new videos to tempt you with.' Keeper Mike Ammann was portrayed in a new goalkeeping kit which looked as if had been designed by throwing many colours of paint at a wall. Fans were invited to sign up for a free Charlton pager with 'only a monthly service charge'. Apparently when the club made a 'big new signing' you would get a message to ring clubcall.

Why I'm not going to Birmingham

The 'Blews' ground is only 45 minutes up the road, but I am heading to Nene Park for Rushden v. Cheltenham this afternoon. I would rather see Charlton, but I have had too many bad experiences at St.Andrew's in the past. It's all very well to say don't wear colours when once you open your mouth it's clear that you don't have a Brummie accent. However, I have found a Midland Addick who has lived there so long he speaks with a local accent so he will be delivering a report on Sunday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home