Google

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Sam Bartram is an icon in Chicago

Imagine my surprise when I walked into the leading department store in Chicago, Marshall Fields, and was confronted by a large photo of Sam Bartram. He was in his kit in front of the old stand. There was no context - it wasn't the sporstwear section. Of course, we have some famous Addicks in Chicago - director Mike Stevens and the Chicago Addick with his blog - but the presence of the photo remains a mystery.

I tried to get a Chicago Fire soccer shirt for one of my sons-in-law. Baseball and American football kit were all over the place, but no sign of a soccer shirt. 'That's a good question', said the salesman in Sears Roebuck when I asked him where I could find one. There was a game between Chicago Fire and DC United on Saturday night, but I couldn't make it.

I was invited for champagne at the British Consul's apartment in the 'Gold Coast'. 61 floors up with a two storey room with a picture window on two sides with views of the Lake and the city. Drinking at night on the 96th floor of the Hancock Tower was also fun.

The convention I attended had a panel on the 'Blogosphere'. Apparently, I'm part of that! Why not see what the Chicago Addick has to say?
Link

  • Chicago Addick

  • 1 Comments:

    Blogger Lungrot said...

    It seems that Sam is also an icon in Paris. Two weeks ago, while on holiday there, I was walking past a photo art shop near the Pompidou Centre (La Photo Factory, Rue Du Renard) when I noticed a brilliant picture of the great man in the window. It’s a photo I’ve never seen before and shows him standing in front of the goal from the perspective of a penalty taker. It was selling for 114 Euros, about £80, but it was a Sunday and the shop was closed, otherwise I might have been tempted to buy it.

    9:53 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home