Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Another Les Reed shambles

Charlton were outplayed by Wycombe in the Carling Cup tonight. Wycombe were given far too much space by the Charlton defence and the Addicks were unable to get a real shot on target.

Charlton looked positive in early exchanges reports Erith Addick Paul May. Chelsea loan player Grant was shown a yellow card for a bad challenge on Traore who required treatment. Diawara had to block an effort with his hand by Wycombe and required treatment. The Chairboys got a free kick on the edge of the box eighteen yards out. The piledriver went straight through the wall was parried away in an excellent save by Carson, Grant shot from distance and was parried again, then a shot went away along the goalline hit the post, but the flag was raised.

Faye put in an awful shot. Wycombe won the first corner of the game off Diawara. Scott Carson lost the ball, although he thought he was fouled, but a goal kick was awarded. Easter had a shot on goal from thirty yards out and Carson had to parry the ball for a Wycombe corner which was knocked away by Darren Bent. Hughes got a yellow card for a foul.

A cross by Easter was turned behind by Traore for another corner. Les Reed came down from the directors' box to the technical area. Wycombe had another chance, but Bloomfield was not able to take advantage with the goal at his mercy. An unmarked Mooney shot, but Carson saved. Wycombe went ahead with a strike from Easter with the Charlton defence stationary.

Charlton had a chance from a cross, but Faye's contact was poor with a scuffed shot.
The Addicks won a free kick through Thomas. The delivery by Hughes was palmed away by Young and Charlton won a corner. Darren Bent went down, Marcus Bent turned and slammed in a shot but it was inches wide. Loud boos rang round the ground as the half came to an end.

Half time: Addicks 0, Chairboys 1

The team came out clutching a sheet of Les Reed's famous coaching instructions, as sold throughout the USA, but it had little immediate effect. Wycombe took a corner conceded by Sankofa quickly followed by a second, but Fortune headed away for a throw in. Hughes tried a shot that Young saved comfortably. Darren Bent had a half chance with a pass from Hughes, but couldn't control it.

Marcus Bent made a good run, but Young kneed the ball away. The Addickted started to give derisory and ironic cheers. Darren Bent played Marcus Bent through and Martin had to make a good clearance. Charlton had their best chance as Darren Bent raced down the right, breaking the offside trap, but it fell to Faye rather than Marcus Bent who put it wide.

Grant came off and was replaced by Palmer. Charlton fans started to leave with little to warm them on a cold evening. Easter was booked. Faye was replaced by Holland while Sam replaced Thomas. As Hughes lost the ball badly, the boos rang out. Hasselbaink came on to replace Sankofa.

A shot by Marcus Bent was easily gathered by Young. As Les Reed picked the ball up, he was jeered by Charlton fans. Hasselbaink made a decent effort and Young had to palm it away at the second attempt. Boos rang out again as Les Reed touched the ball. A header by Darren Bent nearly fell into the path of his namesake, but Young was able to take care of it. Traore played an appalling ball from halfway which was greeted by derisive jeers.

Charlton won their second corner of the game, but Hasselbaink's header went wide with Carson forward. Boos rang round The Valley as the match came to an end. There were particularly loud boos for the useless Reed as he walked off.

Les Reed is doubtless a decent man and a good coach, but he has never managed a team before and on this showing he is not capable of managing one.


Post a Comment

<< Home