Google

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Luke to fight for England place

Luke Young has warned Gary Neville that he faces a fight to reclaim his starting place in the England side. The Charlton captain told Sky Sports News who described him as 'the former Spurs man', 'Gary Neville is a great player and he's England's number two - but if I'm in the squad I want to do the best I can and put some pressure on him.'

'I'm really enjoying it at the moment. I've got my chance to play on the summer tour and in some of the qualifiers. It seems amazing because I've only been involved for a short space of time; it's a bit daunting. Your club form gets you into the squad so every time you go out there I want to catch the eye of the manager and do my best.'

The general view of the media seems to have been that Young's performance last night was 'solid', both The Times and the BBC giving him a rating of 7. BBC Sport said, 'Solid, aside from the goal when he lost his man, and also provided a threat on the overlap.'

Some of the Addickted have attempted to defend Young over the goal, arguing that he couldn't be covering two places at once and had been let down by the midfield. However, I have seen him contribute to goals conceded at Charlton through being caught out when tracking back. Nevertheless, I am confident that he will be in the squad for Germany, although whether he will displace Neville remains to be seen.

Sven showed his enthusiasm for Gulliver's Travels by bringing on man mountain Peter Crouch again. In so doing he saved Charlton a £500,000 payment to the Tractors. Some of the Addickted say they're not bothered about that, but how would they feel if they had to cough up £25 each for a ten minute cameo? Bent is still eligible for Under-21 action and may be used in the playoffs for that competition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home