Google

Monday, October 10, 2005

Danny would have had England place at big club

Joanna Taylor, Danny Murphy's wife, thinks that he would have been in the England team if he was still playing for Liverpool and that other players would not have been if they had not been at bigger clubs.

In her 'Footballer's Wife' column in The Times she notes:

There we were at our local cinema, watching David Cronenberg’s A History Of Violence, when the text came through from a loyal friend. “It’s f***ing s***!” was the pithy message. Danny just shrugged his shoulders. “I guess I’m not in then,” he said. This was eight days ago, when the England squad was announced for the World Cup qualifiers against Austria and Poland. My first reaction was to be furious, but I had to suffer in silence as people shot each other on the screen.

Danny had been laughing at me all along, saying that there was no way he was going to be called up, but I was convinced he would be. I know I am biased, but he had been playing so well this season, getting man-of-the-match awards and scoring goals. But the fact that we were at the cinema that night showed how little chance he thought he had of being selected.

It had been a big weekend of football. Danny came home after the home defeat by Tottenham and said he felt he had played as well as he could. On the Sunday, there were three games live on TV. I watched the first two and was waxing my legs in the bedroom by the time Chelsea played Liverpool — there’s only so much football I can take in one day.

Luke Young, the Charlton and England defender, rang Danny and asked if he had got his text. The way the players get told if they are in the squad is by getting a text message about 15 minutes before it is announced on Sky. Danny said: “No, I’m not going to be in.”

To me this seems a strange way of letting people know. It is so last-minute. I find it frustrating, but I am more opinionated than Danny. To me it’s like an office worker bringing in loads of new clients only to find it’s everybody else who is getting the bonus.

Danny plays primarily to do well for Charlton, and England is a bonus.

The difference between Danny and me is I don't know ho much I love my job. Footballets, on the other hand, are doing a job they do love. So many men around the country are out on a Saturday morning [?] playing football for fun and fpr the love of the game, with no financial reward. It made me realise that, for all the disappointments that come along, professional footballers are privileged.

Luke Young

He has not been training with England today because of a dead leg picked up in the match against Austria but he should be fit enough to train tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home