Google

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Fog of confusion

I was at a meeting on the 25th floor of Millbank Tower yesterday. Great view down the river and over London, similar to that from one J Archer's pad but 'he's lower down' it was pointed out to me. When I got there the view was obscured by a heat haze and I couldn't see the Dome or Shooters Hill. But by the time I left three hours later it was as clear as bell and I could see the water tower on top of the hill.

Where's the Charlton content in this? Well in a way it's a kind of analogy for the present transfer situation at The Valley: shrouded in mystery. This is exemplified by the discussion going on among the Addickted about Lee Bowyer. Is he no saint, but worth it for his footballing abilities? Or is he such a great footballer as is made out? And so on. Whether he is heading for The Valley, despite his rejection of Birmingham (by a small majority of fans some of whom were Villains in my view) remains a matter for speculation.

Similarly, we have seen Fish leave, but no one has come in for Euell whose wages would be worth saving. And what happened to the stories of Jeffers going to Wigan?

I'm not saying that the club is to blame for the lack of action. One can just imagine the scenarios. Player A wants to come, but his wife doesn't want to move south. Player B is interested, but then his agent puts in a wages demand that Richard Murray thinks the club can't meet.

No doubt Curbs is beavering away and getting somewhat frustrated according to some accounts, helped as always in these matters by Keith Peacock. But it would be nice to see another signing soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wyn Grant said...

I think you are right in what you say. Of course, it gives the papers something to talk about during the silly season (apart from Henman and Murray). And Blogsters too. I am getting far more hits than I do during the season.

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home