Google

Friday, August 20, 2004

The visitors from Portsea Island

I think that Charlton have played Portsmouth more than any other team. Certainly I can remember some classic clashes from the 1950s when both teams were serious contenders. On one occasion Dickinson presented Sam Bartram with a big cake but I can't remember whether it was because it was Sam's birthday or he had achieved another appearances record. Anyway, it wasn't so long before his retirement.

The current conventional wisdom is that Pompey have 'a great set of supporters'. They are certainly intense and passionate which perhaps comes from living on a densely populated island with a strong naval tradition, although in practice many supporters come in from Havant and elsewhere in Hampshire. However, I found the constant chanting when they were beaten 1-5 at home by Arsenal in the Cup last season somewhat mindless rather than an expression of the depth of their support. It certainly didn't suggest to me an intelligent reading of the game. No doubt we will have a wall of sound that will dominate The Valley tomorrow, aided by the acoustics in the Jimmy Seed. But what really irritates me is that they will probably crowd me out of my pub before the game.

I was surprised to read in the Mercury that Curbs thought thatBartlett and Lisbie were the only players that could be exempted from criticism after last week's defeat. While the defence and the midfield were clearly open to criticism, those who were there that told me that Bartlett and Lisbie ambled around up front waiting for service, although Bartlett did get back to help out in defence which says something about our overall standard of play. Nevertheless, I am optimistic about a convincing victory tomorrow!

This morning I have to spend three hours in a private seminar with Tessa Jowell, the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport. I can't say too much about as its under 'Chatham House' rules, but it would seem that sport come third on the department's agenda. It seems to be classed as 'entertainment' rather than 'culture', although watching Charlton is often more agonising that entertaining! But there are those who would say that we should not expect football to be entertaining.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home