Google

Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Ten Years Ago

I missed this match because I was on Lake Tahoe in California so once again I am reliant on Colin Cameron's Home and Away with Charlton Athletic. Charlton entertained Barnsley at The Valley in front of a crowd of 8,167, the match ending in a 2-2 draw. Charlton went 2-1 ahead with a goal from Chapple in injury time, but Barnsley equalised thirty-five seconds from the end. Charlton's opener had been scored by David Whyte, Whyte, Whyte after the Addicks had gone 1-0 down on 72 minutes so all the goalmouth action was late in the match. Mike Salmon had to be taken off after 16 minutes after he cut the webbing of his right hand, requiring five stitches. His place in goal was taken by American goalkeeper Mike Ammann. Things were so desperate in those days it was possible to sponsor his socks which I did to give the club a few quid. I think his wife had a considerable knowledge of wine. I wonder where he is now? He went back to the States. Charlton used all their three substitutes for the first time, only the second time this had happened in a league game. Robbo was replaced by the somewhat horizontally challenged Peter Garland (who later played for Dulwich Hamlet) and young Paul Linger came on for Mark Robson. Linger's career was later badly affected after he broke his leg away in a match at Port Fail. I think that he did later play for Welling. Pardew, already auditioning for Grecian 2000 adverts, was booked on 86 minutes. I don't think anyone anticipated his future managerial roles then. Famous Addick John Hewie attended the match. I wonder if he thought we would be an established Premiership club ten years later?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home