Google

Thursday, November 03, 2005

What have you done today, Mervyn Day?

Unbelievably this is the title of a new film being premiered tonight at the Barbican by pop trio Saint Etienne, followed by a mini gig.

BB6 reports: 'The 50-minute docu-film follows the day in the life of a fictional paperboy, Mervyn Day, named after the much-loved 70s West Ham footballer who came from the area. As the teenager goes about his day on his bike delivering papers, the camera pans across the various derelict industrial land, overgrown open spaces and waterways.'

Veteran singer David Essex and Birds of a Feather actress Linda Robson provide the voices to Mervyn's mother and grandad in the film. No information is provided about whether Merv's gesticulations are reproduced.

The film is supposed to pay homage to the industrial wasteland of East London's Lea Valley, although it should be noted that Merv went to my old secondary school, King Edward VIth Chelmsford, which is somewhat more up market than the town in which it is situated.

Indeed, both forty years ago and today it would all go off over nothing in a Chelmsford pub. When I visited the town to talk at my old school last year, I was put up in a B and B run by a shaven headed Hammer from Stepney. When he asked me what I was talking about and I said 'The Politics of Protest', his response was 'Yeah, I'm always up for a ruck' and went and got a photo of himself in one.

Only in Chelmsford. And of everyone at Charlton, it has to be Merv who gives his name to a post-modernist film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home