Google

Friday, September 23, 2005

Ten Years Ago: ten goals in two matches

Very often when I write about a match ten years ago I can't remember it even when I read my notes. But this doesn't apply to 23rd September 1995 when I went to Ipswich in my green and purple Viglen shirt and saw the Addicks beat the Tractors 5-1. A local yokel was so upset he chased me across the car park afterwards shouting, 'You ought to be ashamed of wearing that [deleted] shirt.' OK, the colours were a bit naff.

My notes state, 'Ipswich went one up after three minutes and Chapple was no substitute for Rufus in the defence (Rufus had been standing forlornly by the tunnel entrance.'

'After the break we came back fighting and Chapple scored off the rebound from the attack. The Ipswich goalkeeper was injured [in a collison with Kim Grant] and they had no reserve goalkeeper. [Striker Neil Gregory went in goal]. Leaburn scored a hattrick and Linger who came on as a substitute scored. 5-1!'

'Things were quite tense during the match with the police intervening at the Ipswich end and the Red Army keeping up a chant [that referred to a suggestion that the Tractors supporters might engage in abnormal practices with sheep].'

It was Leaburn's first hattrick for Charlton. Was it his last? I can't recall.

Odd to see a very youthful looking George Burley in the programme. Mind you, I was under fifty then, instead of pushing sixty.

Victory over Wimbledon

It had been a great week for Charlton as on Wednesday they had beaten Wimbledon 5-4 at Selhurst Park in the then Coca Cola Cup. The match is commemorated in a viedo called White Hot! which states on the cover 'Re-live one of the most memorable matches of modern Charlton history.'

I had made it to our second leg home tie against Barnet (who had just recruited Alan Pardew, already in need of Grecian 2000) which we won 2-0 and I was entertained by seeing disconsolate individuals with damaged bee wings on the Northern Line afterwards, but work commitments prevented a visit to Selhurst Park were the attendance for the first leg was 3,717. 'Fatty' Garland opened the scoring for Charlton with a goal which stunned even him, Bowyer got a hattrick and Kim Grant completed the tally.

I was able to go to the return game which was equally exciting, but more of that in a subsequent posting. Who would have thought that ten years later, Wimbledon would be split into a franchise in Milton Keynes and a fan led non-league club? Our paths have certainly diverged.

Where will Charlton be in a hundred years time? Watch this space for a peep into the future.

1 Comments:

Blogger ChicagoAddick said...

I was at both games Wyn. A truly great week for Addicks fans. Bowyer scored a magnificent hat-trick at Wimbledon if I recall but surely you have your tongue firmly in cheek when you ask if Leaburn scored another hat-trick?

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home