Google

Friday, March 18, 2005

Curbs: I will not go to City

Contradicting reports in the Daily Mirror, Curbs has ruled himself out of the running for the managerial vacancy at Manchester City in an interview with the The Times. 'I just take it with a pinch of salt, really', he said. 'I'm not going to say I'm flattered like Iain Dowie did, or annoyed because my name cropped up, but I did notice that it cropped up because they're £62 million in debt. I've done that and perhaps I don't need it again.'

Massive club, massive debts

Curbs believes that his squad's strength in depth gives him a chance to avoid the usual end of season slump this season. Responding to the predictions of an inevitable collapse made by grumpy stattos, Curbs said: 'I think we're all aware of the criticism levelled us in the last four years that the lights go out when we get to 40 points. I can't hide from that: it's a fact. There have been circumstances such as injuries and tough run-ins, but I've got five or six players who, given the opportunity, should be nice and fresh, and could be as fresh as new signings.'

Fortune, Hughes and Kishishev still have to come back from injury. Kishishev would be particularly useful against the Baggies on Saturday. In some ways the match provides a greater challenge than that against Spurs as Charlton are at their best against sides that play football (albeit it with the aid of some cynical fouling as exhibited by Spurs). The kick and hope tactics likely to be adopted by the Baggies may be more difficult to deal with.

Big Black Country day out

In their own version of the Rickshaw service, the Baggies are providing free coach travel from the Black Country to The Valley. They will receive 'Great Escape' survival kits from a Steve McQueen look alike. They will also be handled hymn cards with the words to The Lord's My Shepherd, the Albion fans' anthem as well as inflatable hands to wave as they attempt to win an away game for the first time in nearly a year. No doubt they will also chant 'Boing boing' in celebration of their yo-yo club status.

Charlton refused to comment on reports that in order to improve the club's standing in the Fair Play League translators with an understanding of the Black Country accent will be available in and around the ground.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home