Google

Friday, December 24, 2004

Ten Years Ago: Leaburn brace brings festive cheer

On Boxing Day 1994 I set out from Leamington at 8.15 with my Christmas present, a half year season ticket for Charlton. Having seen my first Addick on the M11, I was parked up in Canberra Road by 10.15 in good time for the match against the Shrimpers. I took my seat alongside the person I was to come to know as Steve from Sidcup and in front of the Bloke Behind Me.

My notes state, 'Charlton started badly, lacking pace and concentration. Defensive weakness (Mortimer in particular) led to a penalty. [Southend went ahead 1-0 on 32 minutes]. But in the second half Charlton played much better and an equaliser by Whyte [from a header] was followed by two goals by Leaburn [the first of these from a header]. They still lack pace when there is a break on and there are still defensive weaknesses.' The video commentary of the match dubs Carl 'lethal Leaburn'.

The programme had a picture of 'Sweaty' Balmer on the front in a 'What me ref?' pose. In the programme Curbs stated that 'the underlying current in the club is very strong.' Roger Alwen looked into his crystal ball and predicted that within a few years Charlton would be involved in a £3 million transfer. He wasn't far out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home